Monday, January 09, 2006

I Reached the Dark Tower

I just finished the last book of "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King. I was a little said that it ended, it has been apart of my life for the last year. I have been reading Stephen King since 9th grade and started the journey to the Dark Tower by accident. I had finished a book and decided to buy a new one, the only problem I had read all the ones that the store had to offer except for one, "The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger." I decided to buy it even though I had no interest in reading it...I am not into westerns and that is exactly what I thought this would be about. OMG...I could not put down the book and finished it by the second night.

To keep the series going a little longer after I would finish a book I would buy another King book to read in between. When I realized that I have read 14 books in a year I was shocked, I don't think I have ever read that much, but I couldn't wait to get to the next one. Roland, Jake, Susannah, Eddie and Oy seemed to take me on their journey as well...I actually felt like the kid from the movie "The Never Ending Story", which is exactly what this book is.

I would never write about this, except these books are that good. They have everything that people like...mystery, western, love story, murder, magic, friends (ka-tet), sci-fiction and fantasy. I believe King wrote this series (he started at nineteen years old) for everyone, as I think everyone would love it. He finished the last three books after he was hit by a car in June of 1999, he thought it was a wake up call that he might not be able to finish the journey if he didn't do it quickly. Mr. King, I am so glad that you did.

I have five books to go before I am finished with all of the Stephen King books (tears) and do not know what I will do when I am done, since he is talking about retiring. I will probably go back and start over. I have looked for another writer as good as him, but I cannot find one. There is only one book that I have read beginning to end from another author since I have started Stephen King's books, but forgot their name and it still did not compare.

I am actually writing this to tell everyone who reads it, take some time out and read this series, it will be worth your time. Before this I loved his series "The Green Mile," this blows that one out of the water, and I love "The Green Mile." I will never write about a book(s) again, but like I said before, these are just that good.

No comments: